If you have anything that you would like to add to this page, please let Jonathan know.
On this page you can find links to some resources that may be of value during the coronavirus disruption. Please note that Victoria Road Group is not responsible for content on external sites.
Local support schemes
Many community groups have formed or mobilised to coordinate support. There's an interesting list of online groups at FreedomNews. Many of these are Facebook groups, including the only Oxford group they mention: Oxford Covid-19 Mutual Aid. More locally, we are aware of these:
- Within Victoria Road we have formed a WhatsApp group allowing us to chat easily and share offers and requests for support. Please contact Jonathan Bromley (07713 241838) if you would like to join.
- The charity OxfordHub has launched a support network based on "street champions". Learn more at oxfordhub.org/oxford-together.
- A group of neighbours in Lonsdale Road will coordinate a "buddy" scheme to connect people who are confined to their house with others who are healthy and able to get out. You can read their introductory letter here.
As you might expect, many existing support and welfare organizations have responded to the difficult situation with new or enhanced schemes.
- AgeUK Oxfordshire has replaced its programme of face-to-face visits with a telephone support scheme that can help provide regular contact for older people confined to their home.
Official advice and up-to-date information from the Government is available on the gov.uk website.
Entertainment and fun
Being stuck indoors isn't much fun, but we can try to make the best of it.
- A few of us made fools of ourselves on the street on Sunday evening, bopping around to a wide variety of music thanks to Bruno and Alessandra at No.64. We may do it again next Sunday - if so it will be publicised on the WhatsApp list. Embarrassing videos may follow.
- For a more highbrow music fix, New York's Metropolitan Opera House is streaming opera daily, for free, from its back-catalogue. Details at metopera.org.